Urban Innovation21 places students (recipients of the Pittsburgh Promise Scholarship and attending the Carlow University, Community College of Allegheny County, Duquesne University, and Point Park University) with paid summer internship opportunities in select manufacturing companies throughout the city and various UPMC Health Plan departments.
This program aims to provide students with “real life” work experience, expands their professional networks, and increases their employment marketability. Additionally, this experience strengthens their likelihood of securing appropriate employment in our region. This initiative is funded by the Alcoa Foundation, UPMC, Innovation Works, the Heinz Endowments, the Hillman Foundation, and Richard King Mellon Foundation.
- Summer: 8 - week assignment up to 28 hours per week; $10 per hour
Where to find internship openings
- Internship positions will be posted with Dr. Wilson of the Specialized Programs Department of the Community College of Allegheny County.
- Career services at Carlow University, Duquesne University, and Point Park University.
- Urban Innovation21 website under internship openings.
How to Apply & FAQs
- - Students of the Community College of Allegheny County can apply by visiting Dr. Wilson's office in the Library Building 404A - Allegheny Campus and filling out an application and submitting their resume along with any additional required information.
- - Carlow University, Duquesne University, and Point Park University students can apply by emailing their resume and any additional required information to Alyssa Boehringer – email@example.com.
- - Please indicate the specific internship and company for which you are applying. Students can apply to one or more specific internship positions.
- - Once your resume and additional documents have been submitted, you will receive an email notice to confirm the receipt of your materials.
- - Your information and materials will be reviewed by the Director of Internship Programs, who will notify you if you have been selected ingot he program.
- - Before the start of an internship, students must complete an orientation and attend all workshops with the Director of Internship Programs.
- - Urban Innovation21 will hold a variety of events during the internship program. All interns are expected to attend these events.