Qualification and Selection Process
Business that would like to be considered for this program must meet the following criteria:
- The company must be a for-profit business (nonprofit organizations and individuals with legal needs do not qualify);
- The company must show proof that it participated in Urban Innovation21’s business support programs, programs offered by Urban Innovation21 partners or programs offered by other business development organizations;
- The entrepreneur must be looking to operate the business as a full-time enterprise, not just a lifestyle or hobby;
The business must be owned or operated by low-income individual(s);
- neither the entity nor its equity owners could otherwise afford legal services; and
- the business will primarily serve low-income customers or will operate in an economically disadvantaged area.
If your business meets all of the criteria listed above and you would like for it to be considered to participate in this program, please complete the online application for service. Once your application is submitted, Urban Innovation21 will complete an initial screening within five (5) business days of receipt and then submit qualifying applications to the selection committee for review and approval. You will receive notification if your application is chosen to be reviewed by the selection committee. The selection committee meets on an as-needed basis, but at least once a month. Notification of approval or denial of your application will occur at that time. Urban Innovation21 will then initiate correspondence with Reed Smith to determine if this is a matter that the firm can take on.